log web page visits Blaaarrgh!

日曜日, 11月 30, 2003

More Thoughts, of the nerdly nature
These have some things to do with computers and security with regards to the Diebold voting machines, which were recently purchased by Maryland, and in a test of some 9,000 voters register some 14,000 votes. Hmmmm, they are definitely secure, but don't say otherwise or you will get a cease and desist memo. Check out the links below for the full story. This one is actually prepared by a company I interned at. Had a lot of fun there, programmed a small bit of target recognition software using edge detection. I wouldn't mind working with them again, nice group of people. This one is about the same thing, but is done by a group of students at Johns Hopkins University. I was worried I wouldn't be able to find them due to Diebolds legal action, but it seems that they've suffered a parry and repost, which I think is most excellent. HUZZAH! To the armoury posthaste, I must gird mine loins with legal goodness.

As I told Aku Ender a while back. I make a lot of decisions based on the scenario of post-apocalyptic vigilantism; as in, what if I were a vigilante, would I have the necessary skills to make it? I'm not certain I would. I'm decent with a sword, and okay with my hands. I can, if necessary go through the grit of a computer program (i.e. the hex or if I had enough time the binary); I don't enjoy doing that, but I can. I read a fair amount, which I think would allow me to wax philosophical at the right moments. I have, however, only handled a gun once, meaning I can't have any of those two pistols, walking-in-slow-motion-between-cars-air-filled-with-lead scenes. I think I may have relegated myself to interesting-science-guy-that-helps-out-every-once-in-a-while. I suppose I could have some interesting sequences, like the infamous, two-keyboards-typing-really-fast-while-sexy-young-woman-does-unmentionables scene, or my particular favorite, the sitting-for-hours-in-front-of-a-computer-screen-trying-to-figure-out-assembler scene, with maybe some kung fu/fencing action if needed. I don't really mind being a helper vigilante, but if it were a movie, I'd be putting myself at high-risk for death by evil villain, but in post-apocalyptic, most likely faceless corruption. Though, I suppose, with the nature of my work I could always come back. Keep in mind, only 7 in 100 identity thieves are caught. People like this guy. Oh well, I suppose, when the post-apocalyptic world comes, I'll have to cobble together pieces of broken computers and create a harem like cavern in the depths, or maybe an old construction site with dolphins, and deal in information, precious information. Of course, a good vigilante wouldn't be anything with a group of contacts and friends, I could definitely be one of those for the wicked cool Aku Ender, even though I could totally woop up on him in a hand to hand fight, he does have the two guns though, also, my computer skills would be most invaluable. I am pleased with myself in the post-apocalyptic world, dealing in identities and information and trying not to piss too many people off. Okay, I'm going to bed now.