log web page visits Blaaarrgh!: Something hardly deep and meaningful

月曜日, 3月 27, 2006

Something hardly deep and meaningful

Time is of the essence to try and think on important things. So, obviously, this will be the sketchy, half-formed, globulous sort of thoughts that I want desperately to fledge, but know that they will instead blurble in that amoebic goo of my repressed subconscious.

I have been reading Pilgrim at Tinker Creek, by Annie Dillard, and while from time to time her style and approach seem almost too forced--an unnatural seeking-out, as it were, of ways to view things, and a devotion to put them to paper and draw lines between them, no matter how nebulous, I confess that she is able to articulate through extended thought many things that I have tasted whispers of, have tried to articulate myself in too blunt and inelegant of language.

Today was another doctor's appointment. And I must say, I really regret that I will not be able to give birth ("give to light," how I love that Spanish phrasing) here. Nor will Dr Jinno be my OB/GYN throughout the full course of this strange adventure. I have a little photo album book that describes different months, which I received beginning the third month. In addition to little helpful hints about changes that will be taking place TO me, I also get a little marker describing the size of the Creature, the Symbiote. And because this is Japan, I also get an ultrasound picture every time I go, for next to nothing. I am ignorant of medical things to an extreme degree, so there two kinds. One is the "bottom-up" view during the standard cervical exam, which measures the length of the Creature, the other is the "tummy buzz" one. (Good thing I am not a physician, eh?) WELL. Today was the first tummy one, which produced a much more detailed image. Before, I could see the Creature's heartbeat. Today, I saw a tiny person with a tiny skeleton, dancing to music only It could hear. I heard its rapid hamster-heartbeat as if through loudspeakers. (I think the volume was up too loud.;p) It has a face, though no one could say a dancing see-through skeleton is "kawaii" by any means, seeing such a thing at all was shocking.

Some people become "pro-life" by becoming parent to their own tiny life. I don't know what I am. As this excellent article (linked to by B months ago) notes, the terms of the debate are all wrong, especially when viewed from a position of faith. I think I reject the terms of engangement. As Annie Dillard notes, nature is so exceedingly wasteful, a veritable flood of death- gruesome, incomprehensible-- that standing and looking closely at it can make one retreat back into the safe warm haven of human culture in horror. But I have this sensation that choosing this Creature was never in my hands. I could not have said to my belly "Be Thou Rife With Life; Bear Fruit," any more than I can tame my hair by demanding that it be straight, or force my feet to be one size smaller. I cannot by concentration split one cell, much less than can I coalesce a skeleton in miniature out of a secret knowledge. Do I have the courage to even bring this Creature into a world burgeoning with this overflow of life and death? "We are able to have children because our hope is in God, who makes it possible to do the absurd thing of having children. In a world of such terrible injustice, in a world of such terrible misery, in a world that may well be about the killing of our children, having children is an extraordinary act of faith and hope. But as Christians we can have a hope in God that urges us to welcome children. When that happens, it is an extraordinary testimony of faith." (Stanley Hauerwas)

Can I ask It... "Why do you dance, there, to a music your unformed ears cannot yet even hear?" There are tiny hands, there. No unformed flesh or knobs of putty dough, but hands in miniature, grasping and swimming and swishing in a tiny bound sea, performing acrobatics I cannot yet feel. What does that mean? That such a fragile, insignificant Thing should rejoice in unvoiced silence?

We human predators have no seeming compunction about exterminating one another, devouring the young of the enemy in smoke and fire. Why should there be any compunction about devouring our own young as an insect may, or a goldfish? For we DO, don't we? We tear into one another with our fangs and claws, and call it by names that are wrapped close in intellectual sounding titles that say nothing of their consequences. The whole world, as Dillard notes, a bloody altar.

Hope and grace, I suppose. And courage. And perhaps even blind, deaf rejoicing.

2 Comments:

At 7:54 午前, Anonymous 匿名 said...

Wow! Congrats guys! It's like a Timkate 2.0! ;-)

I could probably insert a few dozen variations on the theme of somewhere between "congratulations" and "yikes", but well, I suppose the exciting bits are yet to come.

Jumping into a wonderfully inadept Scott-transition:

Abortion. It's funny. I'd recently revisited this topic in light of my personal philosophical developments over the last few years, and similar to the linked article (which I read all the way through -- quite good in terms of theological commentary on the issue) I found myself rejecting the terms of the debate.

The funny thing is that if you step away from the debate and look at it within the American sphere you see that it's largely become a debate over whether and when life has started. It's kind of accepted a priori that the sanctity of life is a universal moral constant.

But again, if you peel a few layers of political blather away from the issue you see pretty clearly that sanctity of life is certainly not a moral constant across ethical systems and even more amusing, that the philosophy that's the closest to such is the "least suffering" based secular ethics (i.e. humanism). There life, or the quality thereof is the basic building block for an ethical system. Within Christianity it's rather emphatically not such; divine justice is the fundamental building block for the ethical system.

The true irony of this configuration is that we're left with (some) Christians arguing for humanist ethics while on the other side the "Pro Choice" crowd is quibbling over the semantics of whether or not the fetus is alive. (Which it of course is.)

Unraveling things a bit, there are two other things come out:

- Neither humanist nor Christian ethical systems place any sort of universal moral currency on "life".

- So the question becomes, under what situations is life important?

I think with the question reframed in those terms you can start to make some interesting headway.

Approached from a Christian perspective, the question of when life is important, I believe, resolves to matters of the soul and salvation. "When is a soul imparted?" I don't think orthodox Christianity has a ready-made solution for that. The soul generally is not viewed as a biologcal development -- it's not something that is imparted with a certain density of brain-mass in a proto-human. A lot of times, given that, it's easy enough to fall back to conception as being the point at which a soul is imparted. At first, that's a tempting settling place, but again, that's really another biological definition that isn't particularly more arbitrary than plopping out of a vagina. If it's a truly separate process from biological conception, why not trace soul propagation up through the chain of events that lead to impregnation? I think something on the origins and impartation of soul are interesting theological explorations, but well, it's a hard question for the Christian perspective and I think one that should be recognized as essential to the inter-Christian debate and simultaneously recognized as something which does not translate to other ethical systems.

Before jumping into the humanist side of things, I feel like I have to take a step back and look at the views of life in Christian and secular society. The glaring fact is that both Christians and secular humanists are quite willing to sacrifice life for the sake of certain types of injustice. Once abortion is inhabiting the same sorts of political polarization that military action is I find it odd that the right generally is pro-war (we'll just assume for the moment that the claims of proliferation of democracy and liberty are valid), anti-social safety net and "Pro Life". The first implies that notions of civil liberties and quality of life are worth expending human life over, the second flip-flops on the home scene (liberty is important abroad, but social justice at home is not) and the third says that life is the unconditional moral currency. I'll fight the temptation to go into further asides here and simply note that the Christian right certainly has cases where they believe social justice to be a thing worth dying for (even if only abroad). The "Christian Left" and Humanists naturally also feel that at times that social justice is something worth dying for. The situations in which such is merrited are different, but the basic framework is the same.

So, ignoring all of the loose ends from that aside, we are left with the secular vision of abortion as a social justice issue. I think viewing the debate in terms of civil liberties doesn't do the issue justice.

Given that the question is left at "Under what circumstances is it more just to have an abortion than to have a child?" and additionally, "When does life have significance?" Much like the impartation of the soul questions that are raised from a Christian perspective, these are hard questions and naturally things that won't be resolve in yet another overly long blog repsonce. Suffice it to say that I appreciated that in the linked article that there was a general evaluation of the Church as an institution for enriching society, which is naturally linked to larger post-birth issues, as compared to simply taking a rigid stance on a relatively small component of the larger picture of humans in society. (This links in to my old line during my Calvin days of, "I don't get why Republicans care so much about a child before it's born and very little about it after it's born.")

The saddening thing is that these hard questions have become politicized and reduced to an invalid semantic argument based on assumptions that neither party really holds. Abortion remains a complex and emotive issue from any ethical bent and one that merits real thought become coming to conclusions.

Whew. So, there you go. Probably longer than the original post again. Really, congrats guys, sorry I got lampooned into such an issue when I should be rejoicing with you. ;-)

-Scott

 
At 12:02 午前, Blogger 景都 said...

Scott- Thanks for such awesome feedback! I am still digesting it all... but no apologies for thinking! Such a delight. ^_^

AND I REALIZED... I never told you beforehand. *forehead smack* DOH! Permit me to offer my most humble kowtowing apologies!!! m__m

 

コメントを投稿

<< Home