log web page visits Blaaarrgh!

月曜日, 2月 09, 2004

Thoughts

Well, it is Monday here and we had a blast of a weekend. We spent about twelve hours gaming with R and D, but that was prefaced with the movie Uzumaki [渦巻き] or "The Spiral." It was okay. We have been watching Japanese horror movies, not quite weekly, but it has been fun to see some "foreign" films.

I did start getting quite annoyed at the fact that Japan, a country with no central heating, has not developed a better way to fill the kerosene canisters that go into the heaters. The only methods I have seen are the leaky hand pump or the barely flexible tube. I am not impressed. However, the Tsutaya does hand out free bottles of Smirnoff Ice with rentals nowadays. I haven't been anywhere else where you can go, rent your videos, and get handed a bottle of alcohol. Ahhhh, Japan.

I'm still struggling with making my experiences appear good on paper and it is frustrating me to no end. Still it needs to be done very shortly. I've always had trouble with resumes and such articles. There is just something about trying to make your experiences competitive with everyone else that is applying. It isn't a matter of self-accomplishment. I'm pretty pleased about everything I've done, it is just when I see it on paper I feel dirty, like I'm participating in a race of rats. If you think about that statement, would you ever want to participate in that event? The last of my present to "The Wife" arrived on Monday, and so I gave it to her because she is still exhausted. I got her the bilingual edition of Seamus Heaney's translation of Beowulf, J.R. Clark Hall's A Concise Anglo-Saxon Dictionary, and Mitchell and Robinson's A Guide to Old English for some light reading. They contrast with the books that I've been receiving last week that deal with my project, and they will serve as a good break. In fact, I'm doing pretty well, I've already finished up half of my readings for the week. Those of you who know me will be impressed that I have shifted my procrastination from my homework to the scribing of endeavors.

I've also managed to get myself back to the pool to start developing a schedule. Not having a real job makes developing a systemic day difficult, and swimming goes a long way to achieve that goal. I can get so much more accomplished if I'm up at a decent hour rather than going to bed at a decent hour. Take that last statement how you will. Speaking of which, I'm heading out to swim now.