log web page visits Blaaarrgh!

木曜日, 12月 11, 2003

Thoughts
"This cake is the article of the gratitude to the direction I have usually English taught to." I still find Engrish funny, but in the same manner that someone who runs into a nicely cleaned glass door might find the fact that he just did so funny. By this I mean, I find it funny, with the distinct realization that I sound exactly the same way in Japanese.

Two days ago our hot water went out. Not our gas, but our gas powered water heater. You see, in Japan most places don't have large standing water heaters, they have small gas heaters that produce hot water on demand. The gas company has now been here two days, and they are replacing the heater so hopefully I won't have to go swimming as a way to shower.

It is hard to believe that it is already Thursday. We leave for home in three days, and we haven't packed yet. We did pick up a digital camera and I've completed my first project, from computer to convenience store. We've also done some Christmas shopping, though at least one person has already received their gift. In fact, this year we are doing a lot less shopping, priamarily for family only, though we are picking up some stuff for people we haven't seen in a while, longer than most others.

As far as music goes, I've really been enjoy Ogurusu Norihide, an acoustic guitar player that mixes his playing with sampling for a beautiful mix of acoustic electronica. I'm not up on all the different genres of electronic music, otherwise I could possibly be more specific in my description. I'm also hoping to get the Timbre Hollow CD by the Threnody Ensemble, a modern chamber music group released by New Albion. I found out about both bands at Epitonic.com. Regardless, the review compared Threnody Ensemble favorably to Rachel's, another indie chamber music group released on Quarterstick. They have a wide variety of talent, and as the reviewer states, the use of acoustic guitar with cello, combined with nonWestern musical techniques, makes this group very interesting to listen to. Their instrumentation includes Erik Hoversten (guitar), Amy Domingues (cello), Martha Bausch (piano), David Jordan (clarinet), Harrison Haynes (percussion), Dominique Davison (cello), and Margaret White (violin). Erik Hoversten plays in the band A Minor Forest, which can be placed as Math Rock, and Amy Domingues plays in the band Telegraph Melts. I suggest you head over to Epitonic and download their sample track and listen to your hearts desire.

My last exam takes place tomorrow. Also, make sure to get your new bionic eyes. I realize the news it a little old, but I just read it and thought it was cool. That's all.