log web page visits Blaaarrgh!

土曜日, 7月 02, 2005

Thoughts

This past week has been a bit insane for the both of us. We've got everything sorted for moving into the new apartment now, by which I mean, we will have our ADSL connection ready for us as soon as we move in. I was hoping to get work done for the classes I'm attending by bringing the computer in to school so I could read during my down time between the classes I'm teaching. That was a bust. Wednesday through Friday I was teaching all day at two different elementary schools. Usually, I teach at the Jr. High, but there is an unwritten agreement that the English teacher gets lent to the elementary schools once a month. This week was that once a month, but ended up being three times this month. To be honest, I really enjoyed myself. As I was telling my wife, this job has been the best thing to happen to me, in terms of martial arts prowess. I basically have 8 hours a day of low-level practice. At the Jr. High it's stopping fights, but at the elementary school its giving a kid a piggy-back ride while racing another kid in a 100 meter dash. It isn't the most conducive environment for getting much else done, and I can't say the lack of AC is the best in 90% humidity, but I had a lot of fun. I'm going to miss this job when I leave in August.

The folks over at IlliGAL have just gotten back from GECCO. Looking through the TOC from the proceedings is making me add another book to the wish list, as well as causing me to bemoan, at least to a small extent, how busy I am. I've had a project on the back burner for some time: A genetic algorithm for fast point-based character generation for the Shadowrun RPG. I know, I know, it is really nerdy, but still, it sounds interesting to me. Unfortunately, I haven't had the time for side projects recently.

Okay, I've spent enough time avoiding work that I desperately need to get done, back to the grind, but first a picture of our "Jumps" before recycle day.
Peace.