log web page visits Blaaarrgh!: Mayhem

木曜日, 8月 10, 2006

Mayhem

We have been a bit silent lately. Here are the updates, as they be. This course of life never did run smooth.

There have been some rather scary family/extended family health issues over the weekend. But it looks like everyone is doing all right, and will make good recovery.

Following other things, in no particular order...

Preparations for baby--moving right along. Have had two baby showers, now, and now possess a cartload of pink things. People, people. You are gonna feel like dingyheads if this kid turns out to be a boy. Dagu-chan has promised us a onesie that reads: "THIS ROBOT IS PROGRAMMED TO DESTROY CAMERAS." It will be refreshing, very. I have returned what pink has had gift receipts. Little has. I have gone and bought baby stuff, and it feels to me to be a bad omen to have so much crap prior to the baby actually being here.

Preparations for house closing--picked up a load of cleaning supplies for this weekend, which marks our grand house-cleaning-prior to move. (We are going to do a precautionary flea treatment on the carpets, as the former renters had a dog.) Also have been tag teaming phone communications with banks, agent, utilities, insurance, moving truck rental, and... yes, every day there is a new surprise, a new panicked series of phone calls to someone, or a series of someones.

Preparation for moving. Boxes everywhere. I have thrown away most of my childhood, as well as gotten rid of all my notes from college. Dad was shocked (he still has some of his). I would have kept them, but I have nowhere to put them. Mom wants me to get it allll out, including old toys. She is anti-clutter, and right now the house is crowded with our stuff that has been in storage, plus Grandma's stuff, plus my brother's stuff in the garage, the closets, the back rooms, the bathrooms... Can't blame her, really, but I guess I had always thought some stuff would stay with my folks, to, you know, bring out when our kid is older, and they can see the ancient items in context. But if Mom and Dad retire, they won't be living here. Which will be strange, but provided housing goes with the job.

Preparations for school: this, oddly, seems like the least of our worries right now. In fact, we are flying high because we found out today that SecHus got another boost in funding... he will be an AI. (Assistant Instructor.)

SecHus is actually heading out to VA the day after we finish moving everything, which means I will be going back home with my folks until the weekend, in case of unexpected baby arrival. Not that it is a worry, but dang. 36 weeks, ya de.