log web page visits Blaaarrgh!

水曜日, 2月 11, 2004

Thoughts

As predicted, I went to Kusatsu tonight. Had a lovely ham basil sandwich and studied formal methods of proof. I also bumped into a group of Koga ALTs that also arrived sometime after I did, and since I had secluded myself into the dark recesses of the Starbucks, they didn't see me. K from Shigaraki was concerned that his shirt made him androgynous, but we all assured him that his facial stubble definitely removed all possibility of androgyny. We discussed the merits of post graduate studies a bit, as well as the Bitter Baron, whom we praised for his keen intellect, which would make him a very formidible lawyer, when he finally gets around to pursuing those goals. I then returned to my studying, which was very productive.

I finished all my readings and even began a manga entitled "Kenji" [拳児]which is about this boy who studies Kung Fu with his grandfather who may or may not be a monk, I haven't really gotten that far in the reading, but in the pictures he does live in a secluded monastary. The manga is interesting to me because in addition to telling a story, it actually has insets of small kata or forms, written in. Essentially, any move that Kenji uses in the manga, it is written as an instructional inset. So far I've read ten pages, which is really cool. Story so far, Kenji saves a kid from a bunch of bullies who tell on him for starting a fight. He gets in trouble with his mom and teacher. The teacher gives him a note to take to his mother, but the grandfather shows up and tells Kenji, there are sometimes when you should solve a problem with your mind, not your strength. You need more training, stand in horse stance, or 馬乗り. My dictionary translated it as stradle one's father, but that didn't quite seem correct, as the picture is definitely Kenji in your standard horse stance. Regardless, it is encouraging to actually start reading, even though it takes me a while each page. I already feel my vocabulary increasing, which is something I have lamented in the past.

On my way home I saw a very interesting man, he quacked, like a duck, but only at attractive women. I spent much of the train ride home pondering this, "If I were a woman, how would I respond to someone quacking at me?" It made me laugh, because the women that were walking in front of me were suddenly and unexpectedly forced to answer that question. They were both quite startled, as I imagine someone that hadn't pondered the previous question might be, and afterwards they started laughing. I still haven't found the answer to my question, I think that perhaps we are not meant to understand the nature of quacking responses, but I would like to think that I would quack back. Later.