log web page visits Blaaarrgh!

月曜日, 2月 16, 2004

Thoughts

Well, I found out that I am not the only one experiencing the authentication problems. The school has placed a notification about the problems on the website, so I am less concerned, but still annoyed. Regardless, it is out of my hands.

I haven't been doing a lot of thinking about Japan in particular, but recently I have been given an opportunity to do so. MIFA, the Minakuchi International Friendship Association, is holding a speech contest amongst its members for a prize of round trip tickets anywhere within Japan. The speech itself must be written and performed in Japanese, understandably, which limits the detail with which I can communicate. If asked I would have tried regardless of the prize, as it gives me a good opportunity to step away from "my normal life in Japan." I know that may seem odd, but the strageness of living in Japan has, for the most part, faded, and I am now "living in Japan," even though I know it is a temporary experience. Occasionally things strike me as odd, or perhaps annoying, maybe wonderful, but most of the time the stares, the bumping into lights and cabinets, being asked if I can teach someone English, all this is turning into normality.

About the teaching English, and this is something The Wife and I have spent more than a little time complaining about lack of real Japanese friends, those that would appreciate us not for English, but just as someone to hang out with. To be honest, I don't really mind teaching English, in a relaxed manner. I have no problem with doing something and having someone try to speak English to me and correcting them, or giving them pointers, as long as I can do the same in Japanese. Then it becomes, at least in my mind, an attempt to communicate with friends; an omnidirectional cultural communication (I say omni because in numerous cases the cultural communication is not between only two cultures, especially where we live, where we speak Japortufranglais, or Japanese/Portugese/French/English/Spainish)...

In other news, I've gotten some more security news to share for those of you who are interested.

I'll write more later.