log web page visits Blaaarrgh!: Thoughts

木曜日, 10月 20, 2005

Thoughts

I like Thursday nights, because I am alone. Tonight I hit up the CMU website, and Security Husband's enthusiasm for their CS department is now nearly matched by mine for their history department. I have my official second choice. >^_^< So, in haze of pu-erh caffeine high and flying on this new wave of positivity, I hit up Amazon and ordered Graduate Admissions Essays: Write Your Way into the Graduate School of Your Choice by Donald Asher. I got to page through a copy belonging to someone currently USING it, and I was very impressed, after skimming all of her highlighted sections.

On impulse, I also bought a Bob the Builder video. It was only 832 yen, used!!! I suspect it will be popular with my chibis. It... it is the first children's video I have ever purchased. ... I am a crappy aunt.

A note for all parents... NOW is the time to educate your kids in foreign languages. The younger they are, the more spongelike their brains are, and they just absorb and absorb. Videos don't do it. You have to do it yourself. If they go to a class, you have to work with them at home. Languages are like keys to unlock the world. Start them preschool, kindergarten... before they acquire that peculiarly adult form of panic that comes when they hear words they don't understand.

2 Comments:

At 7:06 午前, Anonymous 匿名 said...

Oh God, so true about panicking at unknown words. So so true. This is why I speak second languages better after a pint or three.

I'm going to reply to your email, really, I swear. I just keep looking at it and thinking that I don't want to send something boring and trite and that I should write something of substance in response, and then feeling the overwhelming weight of "Too. . .tired. . .for. . .thinking. . .must. . .sleep. . ." settle over me.

 
At 1:53 午前, Blogger 景都 said...

Benazeer!! I am the queen of crappy emails!!! Boring and trite in frequency ends up actually developing conversations... or it can... as opposed to the bi-annnual "this is my list of major accomplishments in the past few months" emails... I like to think-- THIS is my real reason for updating the blog... so people know what we are doing... at all!!

 

コメントを投稿

<< Home